Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Hyperbole and a Half

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
Title: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
Author: Allie Brosh
Read: March 9, 2014

Summary: This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:

Pictures
Words
Stories about things that happened to me
Stories about things that happened to other people because of me
Eight billion dollars*
Stories about dogs
The secret to eternal happiness*

*These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness! goodreads

Review: I'm assuming you have heard of Allie's blog if you haven't been living under a rock for the last year or so. If not, drop everything you are doing and go visit her right now! After visiting her blog, or cracking open this book, you will quickly realize a few things. 1) She's effing hilarious and awkward and may be your spirit animal (or that's just me.) 2) Homegirl has skills with Paintbrush that you could never imagine. 3) You aren't the only one with a "simple dog." 4) She originated "Clean all the things!" (see below).

via 

I got this book for my husband for Christmas (even he had heard of it, people!!!) and there were multiples times that he looked up from reading to tell me she reminds him of me (particularly the cake story...) I'm assuming this happens to a lot of people based on how funny she is but I just related to her and her ridiculous adventures. Even the depression she handled in such a perfect and unique way that I was impressed she didn't have a degree in Psych. She communicated what it feels like to go through depression and how you see the world while going through it in a way that people can understand. Even if they've never felt it before. I love that she gets very deep and personal on a blog that makes millions of people laugh and that her audience now understands depression in a way I'm sure they didn't before. Good work, Allie!

This book is fun, quick, and entertaining. The drawings are their own kind of art and the short stories provide an interesting view of every day life. I would recommend it to anyone with a sense of humor (even if you don't like blogs or short stories) and who knows, maybe you'll just find your spirit animal!





No comments:

Post a Comment