Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Glamour



9481431Title: Glamour
Author: Penelope Fletcher
Series: Rae Wilder #1
Date Read: November 2, 2013

Summary: Rae Wilder has problems.... Supernatural creatures swarm the earth, and humanity is on the brink of extinction. Stalked by a handsome fairy who claims she is like him, demonkind, Rae thinks maybe it was a mistake breaking the rules by going over the Wall into demon territory. Plunged into a world of dark magics, fierce creatures, and ritual sacrifice, she is charged with a guarding a magical amulet. The changes to her mind and body are startling, but rather than accept her purpose she struggles against who she is destined to be. Throw in a big lust for a vampire who can't keep his hands off her, and life starts to get complicated. Rae is forced to make the ultimate choice: to live and die human, or embrace her birth-right and wield magics that could turn her into something wicked, a force of nature nothing can control. goodreads

Review: I'm pretty sure this was a free book from Barnes and Noble because I can't figure out how else it would get on my nook (you may notice this happens a lot... maybe I should try to keep track better.) First thoughts-- the cover. Oooooh pretty! The colors are wonderful and very pleasing to the eyes. Unfortunately, that's about where my praise stops. I wish the cover had anything to do with how good the book is because in that case, this book would have been better.

Initially, I was drawn in. A lot happens in the first few pages and Rae seems like an interesting character who obviously knows very little about the world around her. I guess that being that oblivious could be endearing if she used the info she found out to complete the puzzle but she just doesn't. It's like she asks random questions but they are never fully answered. I understand this is the first in the series but the majority of the questions and background info was not covered which means this cannot be a stand alone book (which I think every book should be, regardless of if it's in a series or not. Otherwise, the next book is really just a continuation of the story in the first rather than adding to it. I digress.) This book also felt very rushed. Not only did very few questions get answered but all of the action happened in about a day. That's a lot of info and a hell of a 24 hours for one person.

Now, my real issue with the book. The stupid insta-love, all boys are obsessed with the main character because she's beautiful, love triangle thing. I HATE THIS STORY LINE!!! I'm looking at you Twilight! Yes, Rae initially seems like a bad ass and I'm sure the fairy things makes her attractive but everyone she meets falls madly, deeply in love with her. I respect that she doesn't just go with Breandan's plan of destiny for her but by doing so she creates a love triangle with a vampire and a fairy. WTF? I was not happy with this.

Like I said, I thought this book had potential. I liked parts of Rae's personality and the premise of her being in a school to learn to fight demons. But nothing was fleshed out enough to make a complete story. My advice to this author, slow down and answer the initial questions in the first book then add more questions and info in the following ones. Not that I will read them but I'm just trying to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment