Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday


In this edition of Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by the ladies at TB&TB) we have
The Top Ten Things I'm Grateful For


  1. My husband. Yes, it's cheesy but I've been married for almost 3 months and am loving it. I've been with the kid for about 8 years so I've been thankful for him for awhile but it never hurts to repeat it. He has unlimited patience (which I do not, ahem) and he puts up with my crazy. And let me tell you, my crazy is never lacking. He loves me more than I can fathom and I'm lucky to have him for the rest of my life. (Love you if you're reading!)
  2. My parents. I don't know how I got so lucky but I'm pretty sure I have the best parents in the world. My dad has always been my rock and one of the few people who can calm me down when I get worked up (honorable mention to the hubby here as well because he has perfected this skill.) My mom is the one who usually gets me worked up and who I inherited my crazy from but she's had my heart since day one. I realize how rare it is to genuinely enjoy hanging out with your parents (and maybe their friends...) and I appreciate them more than they'll ever know. I still try to show it as often as I can but I know I fall short.
  3. My siblings. I have a sister who is two years younger than me and a brother who is six years younger. Growing up, I was not very close with them. Ok, let's be real, I was hell on wheels and they were in my war path every day. Since I've matured a bit, our relationship has gotten so much better. I'm sad I wasted 12/16 years living with them but now I look forward to spending as much time as I can with them. They amaze me every day with the people they have grown up to be and I'm so proud of them. (And I fully take credit for their tough skin, sense of sarcasm, and ability to dish it out as well as receive it.)
  4. My dog. We rescued Bowman, our black lab, about a year and a half ago and I had no idea how big of a hole our life had until he filled it. He is a complete spaz and not the smartest but he gives the best cuddles and will love you if you give him a belly rub.
  5. My education. I worked very hard for 18 years of my life to earn two degrees and a diploma and I'm grateful that I was able to do so. Without my education, I don't know where I would be or what I would be doing. I learned a lot throughout my years in school and that education and experience makes me who I am today. 
  6. My job. This is a tricky one because I actually hate where I work but I love the work that I do. It may sound conceited to say I make a difference every day but I do. I know that because I've seen children change over the course of a handful of sessions into functioning human beings. Kids who have been abused, neglected, and hurt are capable of unimaginable resiliency and I help them find that within themselves. That's something special and I'm lucky to be able to do it. 
  7. Good books. If I'm not working, eating, or cuddling with my husband, I'm reading. It's my escape. It's how I can handle #6 without burning out. I can shut out the real world and get lost in a place that is completely imaginary (or at least removed from my reality.) It's a hobby but it's also a way of life and book are always in the back of my brain. Like when can I get a few more chapters/pages in?
  8. My friends. I was lucky enough to find a group of girls in college and grad school that I really connected with. Currently, zero of my best friends live in the same town as me but our friendships have grown despite the ridiculous distance between us. I also have a couple girls in town who I know would be down for drinks after work if I needed them and I'm lucky to have that because sometimes I REALLY need them. 
  9. My health. This one is cheesy but it's something I take for granted. Yes, I could lose a few lbs (I'm working on it) and I could be healthier but I have full control of my body and am lucky to have that.
  10. Manzanita Island. This is where I got married and where I vacation every year of my life. I have more memories here than any other place and it's been in my family for over 100 years. I'm lucky that my husband understands the magic of this piece of land (because some people don't) and has fully embraced it the way I have. My children will grow up there knowing their cousins and the children of my friends who I grew up with. It's a special place and my favorite place in the world. If only it was closer and not freezing cold 9 months out of the year...
So there you have it! I have a lot to be thankful for and I really enjoyed writing this list. What are your top ten things your thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment