Monday, November 25, 2013

Depraved Indifference


294507
Title: Depraved Indifference
Author: Robert K. Tanenbaum
Read: November 18, 2013
Series: Butch Karp #2

Summary: In his second novel starring New York Assistant D.A. Butch Karp, the author of No Lesser Plea presents a gritty and suspenseful thriller centering on Karp's dogged pursuit of a master terrorist. goodreads

Review: I hate it when I read the second book in a series without reading the first! I actually have the first Butch Karp book but just hadn't read it yet. This book was pretty good as a standalone but there were spoilers from the first book which is a bummer. This story follow ADA Karp and his girlfriend Marlene (also a district attorney) while they are trying to solve a murder of a police officer. The reader is privy to the info from the beginning of the book and but the story follows Karp as he tries to gather evidence and build a case against the murderers.

This story also surrounds the history of Yugoslavia and the Croats and Serbs which is a topic I know nothing about. At times this made it more confusing because it was hard to follow who was allied with who but the author did a good job of giving the history lesson to go along with the story. There were a lot of characters in this book which, once again, caused me to have a hard time following it but I enjoyed the main characters and will probably go back and read the first book (even though I know parts of what happens.)

1 comment:

  1. I rarely read books out of order. It doesn't matter if the book CAN stand alone, but yes, I feel like reading the later books means I can't go back and read an earlier one, at least not the way I like to read... spoiler free!

    I know not everyone's as picky about it as I am, so when I review a series book I do try to give an opinion on whether or not it can stand alone. But it's hard.

    ReplyDelete