I'm starting a little late so I will probably just post when I have a lull in book related banter on my end, but I will link up with every post. You can get the low down and all of the challenge related info here.
And for my first post, 15 book related confessions!
1. I love to read and am constantly reading, but I don't have a lot of people to talk about books with. Hence the blog. My dad and I read some of the same books so he is always good for a recommendation but I really don't have very many people to talk books with. That is super lame so I mostly interact with other bibliophiles on the Internet. (Loser alert...)
2. I'm hesitant about recommendations to friends. Ok, this is weird. I know it and I own it. The thing is, due to numero uno, my friends are rarely looking for books that I enjoy reading and are more looking for quick beach reads. While I have plenty of those to give out, the books I love and would like to recommend to people, they aren't usually interested in. If only I could get one to read The Book Thief. Come on, people!
3. The first two were kind of pathetic so let's make this one fun. I aim to read 100+ books a year and last year was my first year to accomplish this! This year I'm well on my way and am around 54 so far.
4. I read the majority of my books on my nook. I love dead tree books and own too many, but my nook is my go-to for reading.
5. I'm a bad reader/supporter of the reading community and have been known to use TUEBL.com
6. I never buy ebooks and will refuse to for the rest of my life. I get the majority of ebooks from my local library and when I want to buy a book, I go to the Book Dispensary, a book sale, or my trusty B&N. I just think spending money on something that you can't put your hands on is a waste (especially if it's free at the lib!)
7. Speaking of Barnes and Noble, it is my happy place. If I could visit one daily, I would.
8. I enjoy listening to ebooks but haven't recently due to my car's cd player hating me and no longer working. Anyone else driving a car from 1996?
9. I totally judge a book by the cover. Not to say I won't read a book with a boring cover, but if I'm perusing the library or a book store, the only way I'm going to pick up a book I know nothing about is if it has a good cover.
10. I always finish a book. There is one exception referenced here but I will conquer it one day.
11. I hate covers that have the movie characters on them. There is probably a fancy phrase for what this is called but I am not having it! I'm looking at you Nicholas Sparks.
|He's hot but I'm still not having it.|
12. In that line of thought, if I purchase books in a series, I will always buy all of them and they better be in the same format. No going back and forth between hard backs and paper backs. I do this even if I don't really like the end of the series (Sookie Stackhouse for one) but it brings my reading OCD into play and I just can't handle it.
13. I used to be a dog-earer but no more! I now have a lovely bookmark, that is actually the word love (barf, I know), and I use it with all of my books.
14. I will like a book simply based on the characters. I'm not one of those readers that focuses on how well the writing is and the symbolism and yada yada yada. If I like your characters, I will like your book. Not to say I won't hate your book or judge you for poor writing but I am more forgiving if you have great characters and a good story.
15. My TBR on goodreads list consists of 100+ books. I think this is relatively low because I know that there are far more books that I want to read but it's also a little embarrassing due to the fact that I'm obvious missing out on 100+ books.
Well, these are my confessions (did you sing that like Usher while reading that because I totally did) and they are completely random. I look forward to linking up with April and all of the other posts this challenge will create! Do you have any confessions?