Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, one of my favorite book blogs. I'm going to try to do this weekly but I'm not always good at remembering what day it is so these posts may be a day (or two) late.


And for my very first TTT post, I'm totally going to change the rules... This week's theme is books that intimidate you. While perusing my TBR list, I realized I don't really have any super intimidating reads left. That may be because I went through a phase of reading a lot of classics that used to intimidate me and conquered my fear or it may be that I look forward to the big, scary books and don't let them intimidate me. Either way, I'm changing my TTT to intimidating books I've read in the past (with a few exceptions) so here goes!


1. War and Peace: At a whopping 1,200+ pages, I would say this is probably on most people's intimidating read list. I read this book back in 2010 and it definitely took a very, very long time to get through. I really enjoyed the "peace" parts of this book and Russian society but hated the "war" parts which were very dry and descriptive.







2. The Casual Vacancy: Ok, I know, this is a weird one. But I grew up on Harry Potter and it is one of my all time favorite series which puts Rowling wayyyy up there on my favorite authors list. I knew this book was as different from HP as it could be but it got a lot of crap and I didn't want to be disappointed with my old pal, J.K. I think being ready for how different the book would be from Harry helped me enjoy the book for what it was.






3. Fahrenheit 451: This may actually be a intimidating read for the future. I read this book in 9th grade and remember hating it. I'm don't remember anything about this book or why I hated it but this is one I would like to try again now that I'm older and more mature (at least that's what I tell myself.)









4.  Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: This was another one I had to read for school. This book came along in college and to this day, it is the only book I've never finished. I'm weird about finishing books and usually push through them whether I like them or not but this one stopped me in my tracks. One day, I might give this one another go.







5. Anna Karenina: Russian literature, need I say more?











6. The Brothers Karamazov: ditto to above.










7. Wuthering Heights: I knew it was a classic and the type of writing/dialogue that indicated.










8. The Great Gatsby: Yes, I know this is a super short book everyone should read. Somehow, I made it to 25 without reading this book and there was so much hype built up around it, I didn't want to be disappointed. I wasn't!









9. Atlas Shrugged: This is another long book that I had heard about and knew there were political underpinnings but had no idea what it was about. This is probably one of my favorite intimidating reads because it turned into one of my favorite books.

10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: As stated above, this is one of my favorite series and I knew that as soon as I read this final book, the story would be over. I would never be able to return to Hogwarts (for the first time) or follow Harry on anymore new adventures. Luckily, I can always return to the world of wizards and witches (which I am currently doing by re-reading the series again) but it will never be the same as the first time.







What are your most intimidating reads and why? Read any of mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment