Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (2)


Alright folks, it's time for a another Top Ten Tuesday from the lovely bloggers at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme:
 
Top Ten Best/Worst Movie Adaptation Experiences

Let's start with the best shall we?

1. Harry Potter: As you know, I'm a serious Harry Potter fan. I love all of the books and was a little weary of how a movie would live up to them. I was very pleasantly surprised and to this day, I will watch all of them any time they are on (my least favorite probably being Prisoner of Azkaban or Deathly Hallows pt. 1.) While I think the movies lack a lot of detail that makes the story great, I think they are epic in their own way and I may or may not still cry when I watch them.

2. The Notebook: Still one of my all time favorite movies. I may even like this movie more than I liked the book. I don't remember much about the book but Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling get me every time. This is another one I may or may not cry during...

3. Holes: This was a very fun/cute book done by Louis Sachar that was made into a movie and starred Shia LaBouf. I think Shia did a great job of portraying the awkward, gangly, weird main character who is also very lovable and makes you want to cheer for him. Overall, I think this movie was cast very well and I still enjoy watching it when it comes on tv.

4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: I loved this trilogy and while it was very dark at times, it had great twists and turns. The movie was so good and Mara Rooney really encompassed Lisbeth which was difficult because she was a very odd and deep character. This movie is on the dark side but very good!

5. Time Traveler's Wife: This is one of my favorite books and I actually really enjoyed the movie. I'm a big fan of Rachel McAdams (The Notebook, ahem) and I thought the way the director created the different points in time in a way that was easy to follow was really well done. Great movie!


And the worst movie adaptation experiences:

1. Twilight: I didn't really like these books. They were OK but the writing was horrible, the love story was hard to believe and they were way over-hyped. Then the movie(s) came along, and oh my, they made the books look like literature. I hated these movies. I think Robert Pattinson has moments where he is cute but he looked like freak in the movies and was uber creepy. Don't even get me started on Kristin Stewart who has the emotional depth of a puddle. Yuck. Hate!

2. Water for Elephants: This is another R-Patz movie but I didn't hate it nearly as much as Twilight. My feeling toward this one was more of disappointment. I looooooooved the book and created this world in my head that the movie didn't even come close to. Bummer.

3. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: This was another disappointment for me. I really enjoyed the books and connected with the characters but did not enjoy the actresses' portrayals of them. I thought the girls in the movie were too goody-goody while the book characters were more real.

4. The Lovely Bones: Another book I really enjoyed that the movie ruined. I remember this movie being really trippy and out there while I didn't get that vibe from the book at all. I would definitely recommend the book though!

5. One Day: I wasn't a big fan of this book but I thought the movie was boring and didn't allow you to connect with the characters the way the book did (even though I didn't particularly like the characters in the book.)

Do you agree or disagree with any of these? What would be on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment