Saturday, August 24, 2013

Lethal

LethalTitle: Lethal
Author: Sandra Brown
Date Read: August 18, 2013
Pages: 472

Summary: When her four year old daughter informs her a sick man is in their yard, Honor Gillette rushes out to help him. But that "sick" man turns out to be Lee Coburn, the man accused of murdering seven people the night before. Dangerous, desperate, and armed, he promises Honor that she and her daughter won't be hurt as long as she does everything he asks. She has no choice but to accept him at his word.

But Honor soon discovers that even those close to her can't be trusted. Coburn claims that her beloved late husband possessed something extremely valuable that places Honor and her daughter in grave danger. Coburn is there to retrieve it -- at any cost. From FBI offices in Washington, D.C., to a rundown shrimp boat in coastal Louisiana, Coburn and Honor run for their lives from the very people sworn to protect them, and unravel a web of corruption and depravity that threatens not only them, but the fabric of our society. goodreads


Review: Ok people, for the most part, I try to avoid spoilers on this blog but if I do that with this book, I literally have nothing to talk about. It was suspenseful and grabbed you from the first chapter. There were lots of twists that I didn't necessarily see coming. I really enjoyed how all of the side stories came together in the end. That's all I can say without spoiling, so for your reviewing pleasure, and mine...


SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
 
 
 
 
DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING!!!
 
 
 
 
 
ARE YOU STILL HERE? THIS IS WHERE THE SPOILERS ARE...
 
 
OK. I warned you the best I could. If you are still reading, you obviously want to know what I think of Coburn and The Bookkeeper. Luckily, we got rid of all of those people who haven't read the book so we can gossip freely. Let me start with, holy moly Coburn!!! If you don't think he is all that is man, I don't know who you are comparing him to. Of course, there is that whole "he kills people" thing, but he only kills people like Dexter kills people. Meaning he only kills bad guys which makes it ok. Right? No? Does it make it better if he does it to protect his country and people he loves? Still a murderer? Then let's agree to disagree and move on.
 
I knew from the beginning Coburn didn't kill those people in the warehouse but I was surprised to find out the twins did. That is until we learned more about them and then it was totally believable. From the very beginning I was set on figuring out who the Bookkeeper was and my first guess was Stan. Hey, Coburn initially thought this as well so give me some credit! Glad to find out that Emily's grandfather is not a psychopath though.
 
Side note: I tweeted something to this extent while reading

 
 
Then I fan-girled for a while when I saw this.
 
 
 
The only reason this book got 4 instead of 5 cupcakes was because I was pissed when I found out who the Bookkeeper was. Janice?!? Are you kidding me? I thought when Tom caught her on her phone she would be the leak that was in the department but I definitely didn't peg her for the criminal mastermind. I should have paid attention to the fact that the Bookkeeper was never referred to as  a "him" but I was blinded by Coburn. So, Janice. This woman, who stays at home all day with her disabled son? First of all, no chance someone that murderous and evil would stay around to take care of a child she admitted she didn't even love. The Bookkeeper is obviously incapable of empathy or any normal human feelings so that did not fit. It cost the book a cupcake.
 
The epilogue wrapped everything up in a nice little bow. Granted, I would have loved to have seen Honor and Emily run through the airport into Coburn's arms, but I can imagine they did which didn't give the author a chance to tell me that they never showed up. I know they did. It's Coburn.
 
I'm sorry about the spoilers but my review just wouldn't do the book justice without them. Can you forgive Coburn for killing people (like those horrible twins) or is he a murderer in your book forever and unforgivable? (If you answer is the latter, you might not be interested in this blog...)
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment