Friday, January 17, 2014

The Atlantis Code


*Sorry for the technical difficulties around here lately. It seems posts keep appearing and disappearing when they shouldn't. I think blogger hates me. But at least you got a sneak peek for what's to come :)

3171154
Title: The Atlantis Code
Author: Charles Brokaw
Read: January 11, 2014
Series: Thomas Lourds #1

Summary: A thrill-seeking Harvard linguistics professor and an ultrasecret branch of the Catholic Church go head-to-head in a race to uncover the secrets of the lost city of Atlantis. The ruins of the technologically-advanced, eerily-enigmatic ancient civilization promise their discoverer fame, fortune, and power… but hold earth-shattering secrets about the origin of man.

While world-famous linguist and archaeologist, Thomas Lourds, is shooting a film that dramatizes his flamboyant life and scientific achievements, satellites spot impossibly ancient ruins along the Spanish coast.  Lourds knows exactly what it means: the Lost Continent of Atlantis has been found.  The race is on, and Lourds' challengers will do anything to get there first.

Whoever controls the Lost Continent will control the world. goodreads

Review: First off, I hate the name Lourds for the main character. It sounds like a ridiculous last name (coming from a girl with 9 letters in her maiden name) and even dumber first name (which is how it's used throughout the book.) Does this have anything to do with the story or my enjoyment of the book? No. But it irked me and I'm voicing my irkedness. Moving on.

This book just didn't do it for me. I love conspiracy theories and really enjoyed the premise of Da Vinci Code so I was hoping for something like that with this. I think Atlantis is such a cool idea and I want it to exist but the concept of this whole story just didn't seem conceivable to me. Not to say that I believe in the Da Vinci Code's premise, but it was at least believable and could be backed up by certain facts. This just felt to fantastical which made it hard to connect with.

I also didn't connect with any of the characters. I didn't feel like they were developed very well. Natasha was a bad ass all the way through but it seemed like she had a death wish at times. I definitely did not get the attraction to Lourds and thought the sex scene/relationships were extremely awkward. Leslie had potential at the beginning of the book but then she just became jealous and whiny. Not helpful. I thought Gary was pretty cool and added something to the journey rather than took away from it.

I'm sure there are better books on Atlantis out there, and I for one would like to read them, but this is not one I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment